Hearing Aid Questions
What are the types and causes of hearing loss?
Conductive hearing loss: hearing loss caused by problems with the ear canal, eardrum or middle ear. Some possible causes include:
- Malformation of outer ear, ear canal, or middle ear structures
- Fluid in the middle ear
- Ear infection (otitis media – an infection of the middle ear in which an accumulation of fluid may interfere with the movement of the eardrum and ossicles)
- Poor Eustachian tube function
- Perforated eardrum
- Impacted earwax
- Infection in the ear canal
- Foreign body in the ear
Sensorineural hearing loss: hearing loss caused by problems of the inner ear or nerve-related hearing loss. Some possible causes include:
- Noise exposure
- Head trauma
- Virus or disease
- Autoimmune inner ear disease
- Aging (presbycusis)
- Malformation of the inner ear
- Meniere’s Disease
Mixed hearing loss: hearing loss referring to a combination of conductive and sensorineural hearing loss.
Which hearing aid is the best?