Hearing Aid Questions Singapore
We’ve got answers if you have questions about hearing aids, you’re not alone. Learn what people like you are asking about. Contact us if your question is not listed below and we will be happy to give you an answer.
What are the types and causes of hearing loss?
The following are the different types of hearing loss:
Conductive hearing loss: hearing loss caused by problems with the ear canal, eardrum or middle ear. Some possible causes include:
- Malformation of outer ear, ear canal, or middle ear structures
- Fluid in the middle ear
- Ear infection (otitis media – an infection of the middle ear in which an accumulation of fluid may interfere with the movement of the eardrum and ossicles)
- Poor Eustachian tube function
- Perforated eardrum
- Impacted earwax
- Infection in the ear canal
- Foreign body in the ear
Sensorineural hearing loss: hearing loss caused by problems of the inner ear or nerve-related hearing loss. Some possible causes include:
- Noise exposure
- Head trauma
- Virus or disease
- Autoimmune inner ear disease
- Aging (presbycusis)
- Malformation of the inner ear
- Meniere’s Disease
Mixed hearing loss: hearing loss referring to a combination of conductive and sensorineural hearing loss.
Which hearing aid is the best?
Each person has specific needs based on the hearing test report and the person’s lifestyle. It is important to talk with your hearing care provider about what your needs are, what are your expectations and what outcome you are looking for.