Hearing Impairment occurs due to ageing or exposure to loud noise,when the nerve cells in the cochlea fail to send sound signals to the brain. Other than this, there are certain diseases like Meningitis, Mumps, and Chickenpox that result in hearing loss.
Undoubtedly, hearing loss can make life detrimental. People suffering from hearing loss lacks in communicating, listening, and participating in daily activities. To such people, the invention of the Hearing Aid has emerged as a boon. A hearing aid is a small electronic device that is inserted in the ear canal or placed behind the ear of the patient to make the incoming sound louder. There are many benefits of hearing aids, from improving the quality of life of the patients; reducing loneliness, to eliminating anxiety and depression.
How Hearing Aids Work?
The fundamental role of the hearing aid is to make the sound from the environment louder in the patient’s ear. It encompasses a battery to keep it working, an amplifier to intensify the sound signals, and sound chips to modify the sound based on your hearing impairment. The amplified sound signals are transformed back into sound waves to be delivered to ears with the help of the receiver or speaker.
Which Hearing Aid Is Best For My Ailment?
Depending on the degree of hearing loss that ranges from Slight, Mild, Moderate, Moderately Severe, Severe, and Profound, the Hearing Aid is prescribed to the patient. Besides this, there are several other factors like age, aid styles, and cost upon which Hearing Aids are classified. Here we’ve put together different types of hearing aids varying in terms of their design styles. These Hearing Aids definitely work as a problem-solver for patients with Hearing Loss.
• Completely In The Canal (CIC) /IIC
A “Completely In The Canal Hearing Aid” is designed such that it can be inserted inside the ear canal. It is the smallest of Hearing Aid that leaves out the least visibility and is suitable for patients with mild to moderate degrees of hearing loss.
Drawbacks of Completely In The Canal (CIC)/IIC:
- Consists of very small batteries which usually have a shorter life.
- Doesn’t include features like volume control and adjustments, etc.
- Prone to clogging due to earwax.
• In The Canal
Unlike the CIC Hearing Aid that is designed to completely fit in the ear canal, the “In The Canal Hearing Aid” is designed in a way to partly fit in the ear canal. The In the Canal is slightly visible from outside and suits the patients with mild to severe degrees of Hearing Loss.
Drawbacks of In The Canal (CIC):
- Difficult to adjust due to its small size
- Prone to clogging due to earwax.
- Is More Visible
• Behind the Ear
A “Behind The Ear Hearing Aid” consists of a custom earpiece that’s attached to the Hearing Aid with the help of a tube. While the hearing aid rests behind the ear, the earpiece in the Hearing Aid fits inside the ear canal. It is suitable for people of all ages and with all sorts of Hearing Loss. It supports many features and incorporates a strong battery that gives ita longer life. Traditionally has been the largest type of hearing aid, though some newer mini designs are streamlined and barely visible. It has directional microphones and is capable of more amplification than other styles. It also has rechargeable models with bluetoth features
Drawbacks of Behind The Ear Hearing Aid:
- Immensely visible due to its large size
Receiver in canal or receiver in the ear
The receiver-in-canal (RIC) and receiver-in-the-ear (RITE) styles are similar to a behind-the-ear hearing aid with the speaker or receiver that sits in the ear canal. A tiny wire, rather than tubing, connects the piece behind the ear to the speaker or receiver. A receiver-in-canal hearing aid:
- Typically has a less visible behind-the-ear portion
- Has directional microphones
- Has manual control options
- Its available with rechargeable battery and Bluetooth functions
Drawbacks of Receiver in the Canal Hearing Aid:
- Is susceptible to earwax clogging the speaker
Things You Should Know Before You Buy The Hearing Aid
- Before you buy the Hearing Aid, it is necessary to get your check-up done by a hearing specialist or audiologist.
- The role of a Hearing Aid is to amplify the sound waves so that the patient with hearing impairment can listen easily. So, expecting them to restore the listening ability would be a little unjust.
- In the beginning, it might be a little awkward. Thus, a little bit of patience will be required to get used to the Hearing Aid.
- There are different types of Hearing Aids, some are capable of eliminating a big portion of noise some don’t. You must invest only in high-quality Hearing Aid that can dodge-out a high percentage of background noise.
The importance of hearing is inevitable in humans! In this fast-paced lifestyle, where it is necessary to match shoulder-to-shoulder with society, hearing impairment can restrict your growth in many ways. If you don’t want yourself to be left behind, Hearing Aid is a solution for you.
You can buy the highest quality and innovative Hearing Aids from The Hearing Centre. Visit our website to know about the various types of Hearing Aids by eminent brands today.Leave a reply